The quest to fight aging is a big one! The anti-aging cosmetic industry is full of promises to reduce aging and leave the skin looking and feeling youthful with products that often contain mystery ingredients at a high cost.
The good news is there is no need to break the bank!
Five ways to fight aging – inside and out:
- Increase foods rich in bioflavonoids and vitamin C – these include berries, citrus fruits, leafy greens and green tea. Bioflavonoids and vitamin C are potent anti-oxidants, which help fight the aging process, while vitamin C is required for the synthesis of collagen.
- Eliminate foods and habits that contribute to aging – these include fried foods, refined sugars, alcohol and smoking. In fact, a recent study from the American Journal of Public Health found that drinking one 8 oz soda daily over 3 years causes an additional 1.9 years of aging!
- Spend time in nature – spending just 30 minutes in nature has been shown to reduce stress, improve mood and energy and boost the immune system. Ensuring adequate sunlight exposure will also optimize vitamin D levels. Keeping all of these things in check will be sure to limit the aging process.
- Optimize sleep – while we sleep, our entire bodies are able to recharge and restore. That includes our skin!
- Let your skin glow with an all natural skin serum. I recommend a combination of Argan, Calendula, Rosehip with additional carrot, oat and sesame oils. Since lotions and creams are just oils with emulsifiers added, go straight for the good stuff and use these oils to maximize their anti-aging properties.
- Argan – rich in vitamin E and essential fatty acids, Argan oil is also lightweight and absorbs well into the skin to moisturize and rejuvenate.
- Calendula oil – my favorite herb! Calendula has tremendous healing and ant-inflammatory properties. It is also rich in a number of phytochemicals that help to repair and rejuvenate the skin!
- Rosehip – rich in vitamins, anti-oxidants and essential fatty acids. Rosehip oil is rejuvenating and absorbs easily into the skin.
- Night oil – blend of carrot, oat and sesame:
- Carrot – carrot oil is rich in vitamin A, B, C, D and E as well as linoleic acid. Carrot oil is especially beneficial in dry skin as it has rejuvenating properties.
- Oat – rich in skin-soothing emollients, oat kernel oil reduces skin irritation and sensitivity.
- Sesame – an excellent moisturizing oil
- Mix equal parts of all 4 oils into a small, glass bottle (ideally with pump).
- Add 6-10 drops of an essential oil of your choice (rose and geranium are great options). Shake well.
- Apply a dime-sized amount of oil to face nightly, before going to bed. Avoid contact with eyes.
Dr. Leigha Saunders, ND is a licensed naturopathic doctor practicing in Uxbridge, Ontario. She maintains a busy and diverse practise with patients who are ready to transform their health to gain energy, balance mood and lose weight. But what she’s really passionate about is helping people just like you discover that food is the most powerful form of medicine you could ever take!
Dr. Saunders received her Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine from the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine in Toronto, Canada.